FOR SALE

Saturday 29 March 2014

My Blythe Girls....especially for Steve but hopefully others will enjoy too!

A friend of mine has just got his first Blythe and so I thought I'd do a blog post especially for him.  Steve, I hope you'll enjoy seeing my girls!  I have 8 of them, all Takara girls and all but one customised by me.  I will share just 4 of them here for today!   Steve was asking how I like to dress them, well they are a real mixture to be honest.  Here are some photos of them!  (Be warned, there are LOADs of photos!!)

This is Heather, (Heather Sky - RBL) she really is my favourite of all my Blythes...I carved her face, philtrum, nose and chin as well as giving her new eyechips, painted eyelids, new ringpulls, sleep eyes, a haircut and all new makeup.  I like that Blythes can get away with fabric that has large patterns, patterns which would usually be 'out of scale' for such small dolls.  I think that having such a big head helps to balance it all out, as do the 'oversized' shoes that they tend to look good in. 

Puss in Boots!


Hoodie from another doll, trousers and loooong sleeved tee shirt by me!


Cute outfit from Etsy, lovely portrait of Heather by Fifi and Blythe in Scotland.


 Yellow doggy print dress by me!



This is what I mean about larger prints, normally a small doll would look a bit overpowered by this print.



Next up is Noelle, she's an RBL Nicky Lad. She's had all the same customisation work as Heather but I carved her lips in what is usually referred to as 'sucky lips', the bottom lip is made to look like it is being sucked, like a shy young child!

Lovely nautical dress was a gift, hat and socks made by me!


These hoodie sets (hoodie and leggings) were made by me.  They're either appliqued or hand painted/drawn by me.





This lovely knitted set was a gift from Feltland here in Spain!  Socks by me. (Noelle was trying out a jointed Flection body in this photo).


This is Hershey, she's an FBL Simply Chocolate.  She's had the same customisation work and now has a very short bobbed haircut.  Hershey was my first custom.

This is a Riley Kish sized outfit by M.E.G Designs on Ebay.  Hat is by a German seller on Etsy.


Another Riley Kish sized outfit, this time by the Kish Company.


Spanish football kit which was actually made to hang in the window of a car!!


A close up!


This next girl is Paisley, she's an RBL Bohemian Peace....I personally think she's my best work so far, so I thought I'd share some portraits of her!! 




A perfect example of how Blythes can get away with big prints, these corderoy flares are in a very big print but they seem to suit these girls quite well!  (Hat, flares and tee shirt by me, lovely cardigan by the late Maisiedoats in Australia).


And finally for today because this post has got very full of photos, we have Candy who is an RBL Border Spirit.  She got the full customisation plus I rerooted her scalp giving her a pale pink long straight look.  Her original hair was blond, but it was quite yellowy and thin.  I first tried dying it but in the end did the new reroot instead.  She's seen some changes over the years!!!

Here she is with her original blond hair, wearing a gorgeous lady-like outfit which was a gift from my friend Sue in the UK.  Outfit is from Etsy I believe.  Parasol and flowers by me!


Here was my attempts at dying her hair, it came out a nice raspberry colour but still very thin.  Tee shirt and skirt by me.


And as she looks now, her fully rerooted scalp in pale baby pink.  I made this dress and I think it really suits her so she's not taken it off in ages.....here she's showing off her pearly painted eyelids and long flowing lashes!





And finally she got freckles!!  I decided to add them because she just needed that 'something' to make her more interesting!!!  Her hat is actually made as a human 'hair accessory!" 



I hope you've enjoyed seeing these photos and hearing a little about some of my Blythe girls.  I will share the other four another day perhaps!


19 comments:

  1. Sharon, thank you SO MUCH, i just LOVE how you customized and dressed your girls. My girl isn't jointed unfortunatly, so she couldn't pose like your girls can, lol, but i would be happy just dressing my girl in some of your outfits. I also love how you have changed your girls eye chips, very clever. You are very talented Sharon. Thank you again for doing this post for me, it was so very kind of you! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're more than welcome Steve, I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. Only one of my girls is currently jointed, I got a Pure Neemo Flection body from Ebay and changed her from her default body, but the rest are either on their original ones or I have the Licca body which is very similar to the default one, in fact I believe it was the same body that the original Blythes came with back in 1972 when they were first released. If you ever want me to make any outfits for your girl, then please just give me a shout!
      I really like the customising process and have done quite a few now, I'll be doing another one in the summer for a lady in Colorado, so watch this space!!

      Delete
    2. I think my AD Blythe is simlar to the Kenner Blythe's and i have just checked her legs and they bend at the knee (didn't know that, lol). Your so talented Sharon. I love how you have customized your girls, my Blythe looks so homely compaired to yours, lol. I am going to facebook you later xxxxxx

      Delete
  2. Love all the girls shown! They are so versatile and love how they can all pose and look lifelike.
    How clever you are Sharon to be carving them and making the ooak! One day I would like one of these girl....one day... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Dee, glad you like them! It is funny really how lifelike they can look, especially as they are such oddly proportioned dolls, but they are good fun and they have a very big following on Flickr which I'm sure you already have seen!
      I can see a Blythe one day moving into The Village!!! Now I wonder what Mr Mossy would think of that!!!!

      Delete
  3. Such a pretty group! It was neat to see them all together. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Lynn, glad you like them. To be honest they need more attention, I just don't often get around to it...so today was the perfect opportunity!

      Delete
  4. IS there NO end to your wonderful talents?
    I wouldn't begin to know where to start to carve, re-root, dye, paint etc these little dolls in case I spoilt or ruined them in the process.
    Guessing best kept away and left alone from ME!
    Another new doll adventure then Steve?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww you are too kind Kendal, thank you! Well the song goes "The first cut is the deepest..." and I have to say that when I started doing this I was a bit scared to make that first cut into their plastic faces! The plastic is very slippery and I have once slid the knife across the face and made a dent in the dolls cheek but was able to make it look like a dimple!! It's hard work because there's so much sanding, it makes your arms really ache, but I do enjoy it and I love how the doll seems to come to life before my eyes!

      Delete
  5. Sharon they are too cute! I love everything: your beautiful dresses and repaints!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Billa! I'm glad you like them.
      I just found your blog and read some of the entries, you do have some lovely photos on there and some beautiful dolls. I love how your dolls are dressed so appropriately for their surroundings and how you photograph them in such gorgeous locations!!! Fantastic!

      Delete
  6. This post was such a pleasure to view, I love your work! The sucked in lip is so cute :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nymphaea, I'm really glad you enjoyed reading this post! xxx

      Delete
  7. Amazing post of your outstanding Blythe girls and outfits. Your talent is remarkable and I love the way you create their outfits and personalities. Wonderful :) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks so much Ginger, I appreciate your visiting and your very kind words! xxx

      Delete
  8. Really cute girls - you do some amazing things with them and I love the outfits. At eh moment I'll stick to Sasha, but maybe when I retire I could 'branch out' .......?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tricia, I'm glad you enjoyed the Blythe girlies! I must admit that they are seriously neglected since I got my Sasha girls and boys!!!!

      Delete
  9. May I ask how you painted Candy's eyelids? And what paint you use? I'm trying my own hand at customization and would love some tips :) Your girls are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delay in replying! I used a pearlised American Craft paint (acrylic) for Candy's eyelids, I think the colour was actually called Pearl. First of all I sanded them, then I gave them a quick spray of MSC (sealant) and I had to shave her eyeholes just the tiniest bit to accommodate the extra thickness created by the paint. I let each layer of paint dry properly and I think I used about 3 layers. I painted in different directions for each layer! And that was about it! But it is important to make sure your eyelids don't rub on the inside of the eyeholes when you've finished your painting as it will ruin all your hard work. I hope that helps!

      Delete

Your comment will be visible after moderation.